Monday, July 10, 2006

20/20

Last week Hannah had her annual eye exam and Kristina came along with us for the appointment. In her enthusiasm, Hannah went down the slide into Lake Crestridge WITH her glasses on. Needless to say, there is a fish with a new set of spectacles somewhere at the bottom of that lake! I knew Hannah would need a new pair; it never crossed my mind that Kristina may need them too.

As we waited in the exam room, Kristina asked if the doctor would look at her eyes too. I asked her why she thought the doctor would need to look at her eyes. She indicated that she couldn't always see things far away and sometimes her head hurt. Eye exams are not part of the health care provided by the orphanage. I made an appointment for her on our way out. Today we drove to Sanford to see Dr. Frutchey again. The doctor was aware that Kristina spoke Russian and a little English, but she wasn't concered about how they would communicate. Hannah and I watched as Kristina squinted her nose and narrowed her eyes in an attempt to read the eye chart. Through a series of hand signals and lots of humor, Kristina and the doctor managed to get through the exam. We dissolved into giggles along with Dr. Frutchey as Kristina looked through proper lenses at the chart. "Whoa!" she whispered. I wish I would have brought the camera! Her vision isn't terrible, but the glasses will help when she needs to see the board in school. We'll order her glasses soon and I'll be sure to post a pic!

1 comment:

patti said...

Im writing you a check for the glasses right now! As a terribly near sided person I know the WOW Kristina is getting! YAY! Finally something I can do!!!!