Thursday, September 21, 2006

Missing You

A father of the fatherless, and a defender of the widows, is God in his holy habitation. God sets the lonely in families. - Psalms 68:5-6a

I think of you all the time and find myself saying things to my classes about you. I reflect with them on the lessons I have learned because of you. I hung your drawing from The Hundred Dresses by my desk.

We had a cold front move through today and I thought of you. I know it must be getting colder in Ukraine. I wish now that I would have ordered a warm jacket for you and packed that in the suitcases. I remember you telling me how much your hands ached from the cold after shoveling snow each day. I should have thought to send mittens.

I wonder if you are eating enough. We are collecting children's vitamins at school for Dr. Waldheim's mission trip to India next month. I know how much you need vitamins and nutrients because of your lacking diet. I think of what a little thing it is to buy bananas at the store. I remember you sitting at the kitchen table savoring a glass of cold milk even 10 weeks later.

I ache to hold you and kiss you on the head again. I pray that someone will do that for you tonight before you go to bed. I wish I could travel with the other families next month to see you and spend time together. But I know God's plans are perfect and so I will wait for you. One day you will know just how much you are loved. One day you will know that you are a priceless, and valued, and wanted. One day you will know that you are our daughter and we are your family.

No comments: