Saturday, November 24, 2007

Back Again

Its just before midnight here in Odessa and after 4 long flights, I'm back in the apartment I started in nearly a month ago. The flights were fairly uneventful. I flew NWA back to Ukraine thanks to my aunt and uncle, and let me tell you what a difference it was compared to the economy Ukrainian airline Robert and I flew a few weeks ago! I felt guilty sitting in my roomy exit row seat with on demand movies and games on my own personal tv screen. As you know, Robert hates flying and our last trip didn't do anything to dispel those feelings. This time around the food was much better, there was much more space, and much better service. I sat next to a business man who sketched strategy flow charts and listened to his iPod throughout the flight. We flew over an ocean of clouds washed pale blue in the light of a full moon. There was no turbulence and no delays. The only really tiring portion of the day was the 7 hour layover I had in Kiev awaiting my connecting flight to Odessa. Those of you who have been in the Kiev airport know how much there is to do there. I finished a 600 page novel and read part of a magazine. I'm kicking myself for not bringing more books. Its been snowing in Kiev. The sky blended into the horizon in a dirty white haze. The snow drifts were pushed into small gray hills along the walkways and paths. The stark winter weather really sets a tone in a city that sported bright blue skies just a few weeks ago.

Coming back by myself to bring Kristina home was always part of the plan, but I feel Robert's absence strongly. Each day of a Ukrainian adoption promises the unexpected. There has already been one snag that we will have to work out that will set us back 2 days. Though there's nothing I or my facilitation team can do about it, little things like that can get to you. I am praying for a quick trip, but also praying that I don't focus on the timeline. God has planned each step of this last leg of the journey. It is our place to follow Him faithfully.

I'm excited to go to the orphanage tomorrow and spend time with Kristina and the other children. I have missed them terribly. I'll post again soon, hopefully with some pics.

5 comments:

Debora Hoffmann said...

Oh, Leslie, I am so glad you've arrived safely! We'll be praying that God will sustain you and Kristina through these last steps, even when there are snags.

Pam DeFrees said...

Leslie,
I will be praying for you extra.
Please tell Kristina that Dana and I say HELLO and let her know we're praying for her too.
ALso, could you please give Marat and Roma a huge hug from me and tell them that I love and miss them and that I am praying for them. I love them all so much.
One more thing... : )
If you see Alyona, (Lela's Alyona) can you give her a huuuuuge squeeze from me? I'm feeling homesick! : )
Praying!!!!
Love, Pam

Leslie G said...

Leslie,
So glad to hear that you made it back to Ukraine safely. We did the same NWA flights and really liked them.....especially the children on the way home. I don't know how many movies we ended up watching!
I will be praying for a smooth process for you. Enjoy your time there. You will be home soon enough...snags or not. I've only been back a little over two months and it seems like it was so long ago. God does indeed have the perfect plan for you. Relax and enjoy! :-)
Leslie

Kimbell and Mark said...

Sorry about the snag - hope it is the only bump you encounter and you are able to get Kristina home soon - can you believe it? After all this time you're really getting her home! Yipeee!!! Maybe you can find some Americans and trade some books with them!

Tami said...

Too bad I won't be getting there until the end of your trip, I'd be happy to swap some books with you. I hav four to bring with me so far, but I'm looking for some more. There's only so many DVD's a person can handle, ya know?!
We'll be praying for those snags to get ironed out...but in the meantime, start heating up the water, I'll be there before you know it with the mix and marshmallows!