Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Last Day in Odessa



Today was a mellow day here in Odessa. Temperatures continue to drop and the rain set in. I made it to the internot early this morning to check Kristina out. She literally jumped into my arms when I showed up. After changing out of her school uniform, we walked the looonnnnnggg distance to the bus stop and made our way into the center of the city. We took care of some offical things like passport photos on Deribasovskaya Street. We found a little passport studio off of one of the side alleys. The place was no larger than 6x10. I pointed to the passport picture on the wall and indicated I need Kristina's photo done. He turned to Kristina and indicated in broken English that she should sit in the chair. She did as she was told as he continued to give her instructions like "move your chin up, push your hair back" in broken English. She said to him, "I speak Russian too!" At which point he looked surprsed and she was tickled. She thought it was great that the guy thought she was my daughter (well, you know what I mean) and only spoke English like me.

She decided she wanted pizza for lunch so we make the trek down to Pan Pizza (yes, Pam, it is the best in town!). She was full of questions the whole way. Can I see High School Musical movie when we go to house? Will I get married and have children one day? Can I play soccer in America? Sara, I asked her if she was nervous about coming to America and she said not at all. She's been waiting a whole year! I truely think she is ready for this transition. We will have our bumps along the way, but she is ready to come home.

After lunch we went back to the apartment and she played on the computer for awhile before we went back to the internot. I spent about two hours with the children. I know I'll be back in a few weeks, but I will miss them terribly in the meantime. At one point, I had four boys snuggled in next to me on the couch holding my hands. There are so many wonderful boys at this orphanage. It is my prayer that more families will be moved to adopt older children. What a blessing they are! We batted around a balloon and snapped photos until it was time for the children to go to their study period. Kristina got a little sad, but I reminded her that the sooner I leave, the sooner I can come back for her. I am relieved to be returning home for a short while. I need to time and environment to recharge before finishing this journey. Pray for traveling grace for us tomorrow. We'll post again when we get home.

10 comments:

Debora Hoffmann said...

Thanks for keeping us updated, Leslie. I was wondering how Kristina would react to your leaving for a while. We'll be praying for your travels home and back and home again...

I love the photos of the children. I pray the Lord may even lead us to adopt one of them! I'm so glad you and Robert have been able to spend time with them and love them.

Jim H. said...

What a blessing that things have gone so well so far. Have a great trip back home, and tell Kristina that she's gonna be a great American!

Melissa E. said...

Have a good trip!!

Lisa, Chris & Lucas said...

I'm so happy for you all!! This has been such a wonderful journey and I'm so happy to have had the privilege of following along. Have a safe trip home to recharge. I look forward to the conclusion of this part of the journey and the beginning of the next.
Lisa

Nataliya said...

Have a safe trip home! And very soon you'll be returning home with Kristina, isn't it awesome?

Kathy and Matt said...

Safe travels as you head home.
I loved Kristina's questions! How fun to help her explore all these new life options!

Ashley said...

Thank you for taking the pictures of Grisha! I love all of them of the children! Did he tell you to tell me anything? It's ok if he didn't, just wondering. I am due for a letter soon from him and hopefully he will write. I am glad you were able to spend a lot of time with all the children and get to know them more. I know Kristina is excited to be coming home soon. I am praying for your travels and a smoothe transition for Kristina. I really enjoy going through this journey with you and look forward to getting together.

Tami said...

What a blessing to know that this will be the last time the three of you will be seperated. The next time you see her (in a few short weeks) you'll be bringing her home!
I think your story is already accomplishing much of what you hoped. I'm feeling the tug to adopt an older child. (Maybe number 5?) I don't know if Meshack will ever open up to the idea, but you and many other adoptive parents have already eased so many of my qualms. Thank you.
Traveling mercies!

Kimbell and Mark said...

Jean Robert got voted off tonight!!! :) My 16 year old who watches it told me to also tell you that James has two "Immunity idols!" I don't know what that means but he said you would!!!

adoptedthree said...

Kristina the children haunt my heart. It was actually hard to see them because I KNEW that if I had not adopted my first son then he would now be one of the children in your slideshow.

It breaks my heart for those that are still waiting and those that will never be adopted.